Monday, March 2, 2015

Native Son

Bigger Thomas a character them more than a few people seem to know. As Ive read this book it seems that I have met people who want to discuss what I think of him. As the book began I looked at bigger as an idiot someone who had ben delt a bad hand, his actions were motivated by stupidity. The book progressed ands to me Bigger's action had not changed, but he was able to put thought behind them. The things he did were still moronic but to him they made sense there was reason to why he did  what he wanted,  I was about to understand his thinking. By the end of the book my opinion of Bigger Thomas had changed completely, Yes he was at a disadvantage growing up how he did and i blame that for what he ultimately would become, as I once believe bigger was a half wit he ended the book showing me bigger was intelligent and able to think. Even if his thought were just justification it still showed me that bigger had capability. From there I can only say if Bigger would have been given other opportunities he could have been something. Another question I should answer is how would I treat Bigger if i were in the jury. To me  death is not the moral thing to do, sure Bigger committed these crimes but he was in a community in which he had little chance to do good. Given that he must be punish for his crime but must keep in mind his crime was almost pre-destine. So in my mind jail time is justified but not death.

No comments:

Post a Comment